UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Dux TV/Radiogram - radio part (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93637)

bobbyball 16th Feb 2013 8:01 pm

Dux TV/Radiogram - radio part

Hello everybody, I am carrying on where fellow member "Colourstar" left off with this unusual television/radiogram from Sweden, under the brand name "Dux".

My friend has done an excellect restoration job, with a suitable write up, on this very Forum. of the TV section, my part is the radio section.

The chassis is unusual in having a push-pull output stage using two ECL82 valves, and driving the same 800 ohm speaker as the TV - via a selector switch.

The valve line-up is ECC85, ECH81, EBF89, 2xECL82 and EM80.

I have trawled the 'net to see if I can find a circuit diagram for this chassis but to no avail.

When I got it, it "sort of" worked on AM but not at all on FM, and with no discernable light from the EM80 magic eye. The (original?) bridge rectifier (type B250 C100) looked a little worse for wear so I will replace it with a silicon type and a series resistor of about 100 ohms to start with on a suitable tag strip.

My question to my fellow radio restorers out there is does anybody have a circuit for this chassis? There is no model number anywhere on it, although the thing as a whole has a model number - although I am not at home as I write this so I will post an update with some pictures when I get home.

To be continued...

Robert

roffe 16th Feb 2013 10:27 pm

Re: Dux TV/Radiogram - radio part

It's a unusual output stage-I've not seen it in any continental Philips,only in Swedish DUX,Conserton and Philips:
http://em34.mine.nu/elektroarkivet/A...3A_1959_02.JPG

bobbyball 17th Feb 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the link!

Your circuit while being stereo is very similar so I can get an idea of what the HT should be when I have fitted the new rectifier and series resistor.

Thanks again

Robert

bobbyball 18th Feb 2013 9:43 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the Dux chassis.

The first one is with the original capacitors in circuit, then the chassis "right way up", then the little record deck (which fits in a pull-out drawer), then the underside of the chassis with "new" capacitors fitted, and finally the old capacitors that came out.

The whole thing is very well specified, with bass and treble controls, each having it's own pointer, and the record deck, though it looks "simple", is a fully floating "suspended sub-chassis" driven by no less than two pully wheels, one of which is the underneath hub of the turntable shaft. The turntable itself fits on the top and is fixed with three screws. It uses the standard Philips 3 (female) contact plug-in heads and is wired for stereo even though the radio chassis is mono. Interestingly the radio chassis has a "240 volt" setting wheras the TV chassis only has a 220 volt setting.

The original bridge rectifier looked worse for wear and when the new one I got (74 pence!) plus it's series resistor has gone in I will post the results. I am hoping the HT will be up to a near correct value and maybe FM will then work. We shall see...

Cheers for now

Robert

Radio Wrangler 18th Feb 2013 10:34 pm

That does look like one of those Philips arms and cartridges that are rarely found working.

David

ukcol 18th Feb 2013 11:15 pm

Is that a copper chassis Robert, or merely copper coloured?

Colin M

bobbyball 18th Feb 2013 11:20 pm

Yes it's one of the "dreaded" Philips heads.

Even the arm on the deck has an adjustment for stylus pressure though.

Fortunately I have quite a collection of these Philips heads, from the mono AG3016 "turn round" type up to the much more modern GP230/235 type which were a version of the much more longer lasting AG3306 series adapted for the older 3 conection male fitting on the arm. All of my heads, mono and stereo (like the one in the picture) are working well however: they are kept in warm and dry conditions with some of them being in the original Philips cartons - a cardboard tube covered in thick metal foil.

Robert

bobbyball 18th Feb 2013 11:26 pm

Colin, it's just a pressed steel chassis but with a thick "Hammerite" type finish in a "creamy" copper colour. Much more expensively made than the usual Philips offerings of the time which were generally made of plastic.

It's unusual that the thing has a single play deck -it does have auto stop however. I guess the "compact" dimensions of the cupboard it fits in precluded the fitting of an autochanger...

The odd thing is, how did this contraption end up the the UK? The TV chassis, whilst being 625 lines, has only a VHF tuner and of course the "continental" sound spacing of 5.5 MHz. It's beautifully made, very "Scandanavian". I will post some pictures of the whole thing when I get it back together. My fellow Forum member "Colourstar" has already done an excellent write up on the TV section of course...

Robert

Robert